I thank God that my Mom worked from home that day. While I was trying to convince myself that this was all true, I voiced to Mom a fear. “What if God doesn’t help me through this? What if He isn't close to me?” I’d been going through a dry season for some time now. I’ve felt as if I was in a spiritual desert and then to have this news about Kristin on top of it…I was concerned that I wouldn’t know how to overcome all this.
That night was the hardest. I didn’t want to go to sleep and wake up to the same nightmare again. The nights continued to be the hardest and sleep was something that didn’t come easily. Then on Monday I found a cassette tape of Kristin and I rehearsing the song “Glory” by Selah. I laughed through my tears listening to us together again. Kristin stopping to burp and then hearing her laugh again brought joy to my soul! I thanked God that I had this tape. That day was a turning point for me. I don't believe it was because of that tape, but I believe that tape was one of the many things God did for me that day. I hate that I ever doubted. In Judi's words, "I allowed The Comforter to comfort me." I began to fill overcome with strength, joy, and peace inside. I can't explain it, other than that's how big the God I serve is. I don't understand His ways all the time but I fully trust that He has a plan and that he IS good. That He draws near to those who draw near to Him. He is the one true and personal God. How else could I be experiencing such things at a time like this? This has been such a supernatural experience, and not a direct result of positive thinking or anything created on my own accord.
"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." -Romans 5:1-5
I believe we can't fully comprehend, with our limited abilities as humans, all that God is and what He has for us. With an expectant heart and mind I've experienced glimpses of His mysteries and am thankful He has given us His Word and Holy Spirit to guide us. Though the enemy seeks to "steal, kill, and destroy" our God has overcome the world and can use what was meant for evil and make it into something good. Though I'd give anything to see my friend and hug her now and hear her talk to me, I know given the choice she would die again if just one person were to come to know Jesus and true hope through her death.
I used to get hung up on suffering and why God doesn't intervene (from what my eyes can see). I think many people see suffering alone as proof that God doesn't exist. To me, when we believe this, we are doing exactly what the one inflicting the suffering wants. I refuse to let him get any satisfaction. I look forward to the day of no more death, suffering, and lack of goodness which we will have in Heaven. But until then, I pray God continue to open my eyes to His ways and not my own and continue to trust Him. So far, it's the best thing I've ever done.
-Jen
Listen to Kristin sing!
http://soundcloud.com/jennymeigs
August 23, 2011 at 4:39 PM �
I agree 100% with this post! I am so blessed that it is very easy for me to trust and not question God. Even though I don't always understand or like the things that happen, it is easy for me to accept that I don't know his mind. Also, I don't think that God creates every action. Sometimes bad things happen because people make bad decisions. God could intervene in their circumstances and change the outcomes everytime, of course, but I don't think he always does. And we don't know why. And we aren't supposed to know why. I am so thankful to have been raised to believe and to have felt the Holy Spirit at a young age because I think it gives me peace and keeps me from feeling worried all the time. I feel sad for people who don't know God because it must make them feel very insecure in the world. I don't know. I'm not perfect. I'm the biggest sinner there is but that's why God is great. He is bigger than my sins or anything bad that can happen to us. I was greatly inspired by the attitude of Kristin's husband, family and close friends. That in itself was a ministry to me and most likely to others. Love ya!
August 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM �
Wow Jen...this touched me deeply. Keep believing! Angela S.