I have always known I wanted to stay at home with my children before they went to school and quite possibly even homeschool them. My purpose in obtaining my Masters degree is for later, when the time comes for me to return to the workforce so I would already have a degree in something I love (or maybe even work part-time while raising children). Caring for others and pointing them in a positive direction has always been the passion God has placed in me…but family is my first passion (under God of course).


I have 5 years to complete my graduate degree (I began in 2008). As of right now all I have left to do to complete my Masters in Pastoral Counseling and Spiritual Direction is my 300hr internship. It's been extremely difficult to find an internship and I imagine it will be likewise when looking for a job later. Not to mention that I will not be eligible to be a licensed Pastoral Counselor with this degree unless I also obtain a Master of Divinity.

One option would be for me to switch tracks and take the remaining courses to become a Licensed Marital & Family Therapist and that would take less than a year (thus accruing more student loan debt). I know I could easily obtain a job going this route. The overachiever part of me says to enter the Licensed Professional Counselor track which would put me in school two more years. I don’t even know if I can commit to two more years of school right now while raising a family. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of becoming a LMFT vs. LPC? Either way equals an internship needing to be completed ASAP which equals time away from Kiernan and placing him in someone else’s hands which that whole process makes me immediately feel sick inside. I don’t want anything robbing me of this precious time with him and my babies to come.

Saying all this, I know I have a propensity to be idealistic, indecisive, and neurotic while also falling into the trap of all-or-nothing thinking. It is just so very important to me to live with as little regret as possible.

What are your thoughts? Can someone just plan my life for me? That would be great, thanks.

0 Responses to "Family and Career- Following Passions & Seeking Balance"

Post a Comment