Kiernan is 11 weeks old now and has been smiling and giggling so much the last couple weeks. Even though he was a preemie, so far I haven't notice many, if any, developmental delays. Before he was born I tried to mentally prepare myself for the sleep deprivation and typical newborn daily events like multiple middle of the night feedings and all the diaper changes and embrace the whole mindset that "it's not about me anymore." Honestly, as much as I was worried, it all came more naturally than I imagined. Helping take care of Grandma in our home for nearly a year before she passed, I think that really broke me in. In fact, taking care of a newborn is much more manageable but that's a different post. However, I didn't picture Kiernan struggling so much in his first months of life with acid reflux. Before I had him I didn't even know babies could have acid reflux or if they did, how challenging it could be. I've done and am doing all I can to educate myself and make life better and more comfortable for the little man who has my heart. Per his first pediatrician, I tried 5 different formulas and we are on the 6th- Similac Alimentum. Kiernan also tried Axid for over a month without improvement and has been on Prevacid for nearly three weeks with minimal improvement. The projectile vomiting is down to once a day now but he is spitting up (large amounts) all day and chokes, coughs, arches his back and cries while eating and drawing up his legs. It's obvious his tummy is bothering him. We were using Mylicon drops in every bottle early on because we thought it was gas but they didn't help at all. We've tried burping him after every ounce and we keep him upright for 20 minutes after feedings. He even sleeps in his bouncer chair inside his crib so he's at an incline but he still spits up even hours after feeding. I don't mind the laundry, I just hate feeling so helpless in making my baby feel better. So I just love on him and advocate for him with his doctor several times weekly it seems. I've been given goat's milk and even gave him one bottle of it which caused him to vomit still (which it probably takes more than one bottle to see if it would work). Consequently though, everything I've read says it's okay for toddlers but not babies and that it lacks many vitamins (have considered doing this and using a vitamin supplement). I'm blessed that there isn't something worse wrong with my precious baby and I'm very grateful for that.
1:23 PM
0 Responses to "Sick Baby"
Post a Comment