1:15 PM



People keep asking me the story of how things went down the day Kiernan was born so I thought I’d just post about it! Let me warn you that this will be an uneventful story, which is a good thing! So many people told me how horrible their experiences were. Why do people wanna scare the hell out of you before you have your first kid??? Anyway, my goal is to tell people what a positive experience I had. At 3:30 in the morning of December 13th, I woke up to some discomfort. I thought they were just mild cramps or Braxton Hicks, seriously doubted they were contractions. However, from that moment on I didn’t go back to sleep because these “cramps” never stopped and their intensity and frequency grew. I went ahead and got up to get ready for work at the normal time and sent Eric off to work too. I wanted to be SURE that these were contractions. The reason for this is that I thought my water was leaking slowly the day before and went to the hospital to get “checked.” Let me just say that that whole experience that day was more excruciating then giving actual birth the next day! I planned on going to work and just timing my contractions. Mom looked at me like I went off the deep in and says “YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WORK!” She said I needed to stay home with her and we would time them together because she was convinced I was going into labor. Did I mention I hate to miss work too? Even if I’m in labor or have a good reason, I always feel soooo guilty calling in. Ugh! I need help… Anyway, as I was getting ready to go to work I thought my water was leaking out again like I thought the day before. Unsure of what to do (seriously the day before was traumatic!), I called one of my dear labor and delivery nurse friends, Marcia. While on the phone with her my water broke and there was no doubt about it! That was around 7:30am, so I called Eric to let him know he needed to come back home I tried to pack our bags but it was rather uncomfortable to keep bending over and walk around. So I decided I would sit on a bar stool in the bathroom and put on make-up. I couldn’t just sit and do nothing while waiting on Eric. When he got there, he rushed in and was ready to go! I was in no hurry for some reason. I think I was still worried it wasn’t the real deal. I guess I wanted his head to pop out before I would believe it. Well it almost did! By the time we got to the hospital I was dilated to an 8! My water had completely ruptured and he was ready to meet Mom and Dad (and Santa Claus). Let me first say that I’m not good with pain…REALLY. The contractions were bearable (may have even had worse cramps before). I felt so excited! Even though I was dilated to an 8, they still gave me an epidural when I was at a 9. THANK GOD FOR DRUGS! After that, it went from a little uncomfortable to a walk in the park. Getting the epidural was a little freaky, just knowing where it was going but went smooth. Marcia beat us to the hospital and ended up going through the whole process with us and pretty much just took over! My BFF, and other labor and delivery nurse, Kristin, switched shifts since she was supposed to work elsewhere just to come and be with me. Anjanette came from work and was their when Kiernan was born too. I felt so special, loved, and taken care of by my girls! I was surrounded by my family and completely supported and coached by Eric. He was amazing. If I haven’t mentioned that I have the greatest husband I do. I thank God for him every day. Anyway, I pushed for about an hour or so then the Doc came in and before I knew it MY SON was here! Nothing could have prepared me for that moment. You never know how you are going to feel. You know how you want to feel or think you should feel. Let me just say that I was completely overtaken with love and happiness to see him and hear him cry. I thought “he’s making noise, he’s a real person, he’s out of me, oh my goodness!” Tears immediately came for me and Eric. I looked over at Eric and I saw the unmistakable joy all over his face. I thank God that things went so smoothly. Didn’t think he’d be here 5 weeks early but I’m selfishly glad he was.

0 Responses to "Labor and Delivery"

Post a Comment